Thread: How To: Ford CMP "Blitz" miscellany
View Single Post
Old 08-07-20, 00:04
VMVC

Default Ford CMP speedometer cable routing

Good Day Hanno,

I may have answered my own question. Revisiting my various publications and studying the diagrams I noticed what could be the speedometer cable passing over the engine. See attached.
I am now thinking 84" may be the correct length but will wait until later today to check it out. Seems unusual to have it go above the engine, but when I was researching speedometer cables I read they should be kept away from hot exhaust manifolds. My route in the previous post puts it very close to the right exhaust manifold. A photo on the engine and transmission colours thread shows an open engine bay from above on a Polish CMP truck but I could not see any speedometer cable. As the truck was under maintenance perhaps it was removed for access.
The other thing I noticed was the clips on the ignition wire conduits. I saved them off some other conduits but don't really know where they are used. Perhaps they are to clip the speedometer cable to the conduit? They have the right diameter opening for the cable. Would make sense not to have it flapping around on the engine.
Anyway we are back to Covid19 lockdown in Melbourne so more time to go back over things like this. I cannot legally go to a different area so going to get the cable shortened will just have to wait 6 more weeks.
I will still be interested to see how your cable is routed Hanno.

Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0100.JPG   IMG_1896.jpg  

Jacques Reed