View Single Post
Old 05-07-04, 17:34
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: Location of 'AWD KANGAROO' - Post # 2

The attached, is the Rear Maintenance Area of 21st Army Group, as/at 1 August 1944. The area marked 'ORDNANCE' that appears south of the Bayeux-Caen road, is the area that was occupied by No. 14 Advanced Ordnance Depot. You can also see, to the west of this location, the area that was occupied by REME/RCEME, which on the layout is marked 'REME'.

If you compare this layout to the map in Post # 1, you'll see that Audrieu, is on the western edge of the Ordnance area.

Also, notice the 'SALVAGE' area just south of the Bayeux-Caen road, north-west of the Ordnance area, in CANADA'S CRAFTSMEN, THE STORY OF THE CORPS OF ROYAL CANADIAN ELECTRICAL AND MECHANICAL ENGINEERS AND OF THE LAND ORDNANCE ENGINEERING BRANCH (page 64), it states: "The armour plate came from the Help Yourself Park of "W" crocks (those tanks declared beyond repairs)." - which was probably located within this 'Salvage Area', which again, is in proximity to Audrieu.

You'll notice, that there is another 'Ordnance Area' marked on the layout, just north of Bayeux and actually close to Ryes (north-east of Bayeux), where the 12th, 13th and 14th Fd Regts, RCA, turned in their M7 Priest 105mm How. equipments on 1 Aug 44 (and shortly after in the case of one bty). This was the area occupied by No. 17 AOD and I've ruled out this area and that surrounding it has the site of 'AWD Kangaroo', for the simple reason, that from those areas, to the start line, was well over 20 miles in distance (I believe it was around 30).

Notice, the open area west of Audrieu/No. 14 AOD and south-(east) of the REME area, I believe that it was in this area that 'AWD Kangaroo' was established.

Again, I'll cut it here.

Cheers

Last edited by Mark W. Tonner; 05-07-04 at 22:13.