View Single Post
Old 12-08-07, 05:31
Gregory Pollard

Default Re: SDG shoulder title

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Parker
The SDG shoulder title worn during the war had simply the words "GLENDARRIAN" over "CANADA" in red on a blue backing. Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry are all counties in Eastern Ontario and, as is typical, the SDG Hgrs are an amalgation of late 19th century county militia battalions. My question: why did Glengarry county prevail over Stormont and Dundas counties to be the only one used on the shoulder title? There must be a regimental tradition or two that explains this.
Hi Bruce,

If you email Winston Johnston in PEI, I am sure he will have the answer for you. He has published a book called "The Glengarry Light Infantry, 1812-1816, who were they and what did they do in the war?"

I believe the Glengarry Light Infantry, from Glengarry county, was the first infantry in the three counties. You can email Winston at:
winston.johnston@pei.sympatico.ca

The reason could also be, the kilt the Glens wore, was the Mcdonnel of Glengarry tartan.

Let me know if you get an answer from him, because I have another source if he can't answer your questions.

Greg

Last edited by Gregory Pollard; 12-08-07 at 06:28.