View Single Post
Old 30-06-15, 21:28

Default MVPA Convention, Topeka KS

Gents,

Just returned home from the MVPA annual convention in Topeka, Kansas. It was a 3,000 mile round trip, and well worth it. Caught up with several other Ford GP restorers, managed to find a few parts I was after, and found a few more reference books to add to the library. Displayed vehicles included an LVT-3, Sherman 'Grizzly', several half tracks and even a current M1070 Oshkosh tank transporter tractor. The usual array of jeeps, Mules, and other smaller vehicles, most restored to a very high standard. Lots of parts, lots of people, lots of fun: it was a great few days.

Among the reference books I purchased is a 1952 US Army book simply called 'Tank Data'. It was a reference hand-out on US Armor courses. The surprise was the contents: it is a survey of around 120 AFVs held at Aberdeen Proving Ground, each with an image and extensive technical specifications. Some rare vehicles in the book that I certainly don't remember seeing at APG when I visited several years ago.

Visited the Strategic Air Command Museum at Ashland, Nebraska, en route, and the Heartland MV museum. Both were worth the visit - the SAC Museum has a B36 Peacemaker on display - what a mammoth aircraft! The Heartland Museum was refreshingly accurate in their extensive captions to the displays, and a diverse series of displays there are, too, including two Bradley IFVs.

Next year's convention will be closer: it's in California!!

Mike

Last edited by Mike Cecil; 30-06-15 at 23:57. Reason: corrected nomenclature on LVT