View Single Post
Old 28-12-04, 13:08
RIP

Default Suomussalmi

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Potter

The Winter War has been one of my military history fascinations ever since I saw Walter Cronkite's old "Twentieth Century" episode on it. The footage was amazing, even on the old family black-and-white TV. I have read everything I can find, even old Time and Life magazine feature articles from the time.
Yes, Bob, Finlands 105 days of Winter War is fascinating. As Josef Stalin put it: "The Finns are a slow-thinking people. You have to knock sense into them using a hammer". He tried to do that.

I beleive one of the greatest military achievments during WW 2 was the battle of Suomussalmi.

1. Feeling the treath from the Soviet Union Finland called up their reserves for "extra refrescher training". In Suomussalmi the 15th Independent Infantry Bn (LtCol Kyander) was mobilized 10th - 14th October 1939.

2. On Thursday 30th November 1939 at 08H05 LtCol Kylander got a message that Soviet troops were crossing the border at Raate. Suomussalmi was situated some 30 km from the Border. At 10H00 a message was received that the Soviets also crossed the border at Juntusranta.

3. The border defence was weak. North of Suomussalmi one Platoon (2Lt Elo) in Juntusranta. To the east a Detachment (1Lt Lehto) of two Platoons (WO Räisänen and Sgt Ojanne respectively).

4. These Platoons fought delaying operations against Soviet 163rd Inf Div for a week.

5. On Thursday 7th December the Soviet troops entered the village of Suomussalmi. The 15th Inf Bn reinforced by 4th Training Bn took up defence south of the village.

6. On the same day Col Siilasvuo (Swedish name Strömberg) received order to reorganize 27th Inf Regt as a Brigade and to take command in Suomussalmi.

Picture: Col Hjalmar Siilasvuo (left) with COS Cpt Alpo Kullervo Marttinen (right) who post WW 2 became a Colonel in the US Army.
Attached Images

Last edited by Stellan Bojerud (RIP); 28-12-04 at 14:16.