View Single Post
Old 11-06-03, 16:17

Default Solid rubber tires......

Solid rubber tires are still being made for collectors......

A few years ago while on holidays in the Maine area I stumbled on an antique truck show ... they had a particular mix of very heavy trucks from the 1920 to 1950.... the early model.... Macks in particular had the open C cabs... chain drives and ran on huge solid rubber tires...... at the same show were reproductions companies selling everything to rebuild... body panels.. engine parts and services for remoulding solid rubber tires on existing antique wheels of various size and width....... I am sure the process could be used for Universal carriers wheels.... the tires they were showing even had identification lettering raised on the side of the tires which probably implies a moulding process fo some sort.

From a manufacturing process it would make sense to windup some pure rubber compound on a bare steel wheel (same as a Bagdad recapped tire)and then cut it back to size but they would still need some press moulding for the curing/cooking and lettering..

Anyways if one was to search the large antique USA market I am sure that suppliers could be found.

Any Forum members connected to the large antiwue truck events????

My 5 cents worth...
Canada