Thread: Reference: New Jeep book
View Single Post
Old 17-04-21, 15:29

Default Thanks

Mike I appreciate the review. If you could post it on Amazon that would great! Every review helps.
As for the brakes that's one photo that slipped by me. I looked at other photos and see that I switched the backing plates in later assembly pictures. Must have noticed it at some point. I also mistakenly called the coil a solenoid at one point. These things will be corrected in the 2nd edition. Thanks to you and any others that point out the mistakes. Much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kelly View Post
Been reading this book. Overall it is a very good introduction into the WW2 Jeep restoration hobby. There are many colour pics that reveal excellent detail and the descriptions are good. The chapters and sub-chapters are well organized and are easy to follow.

The author isn't concerned with presenting a factory finish rebuild, rather, he has shown us how to do a economy or Motor Pool rebuild. With limited time and a straining budget, he has taken short cuts, but these time saving methods ,do not detract, in a large way, from the overall finished project. For example, he used a new Juan MB chassis and after some deliberation, he fitted a new Juan tub. He describes the usual problems with the bad fitting Juan tub and his own method of 'making it all fit'

One standout error I noticed in the Brakes chapter, there is a pic showing the brake linings fitted the wrong way around. The correct setup is: the longer lining goes towards the front of the vehicle. WW2 Jeep brakes are marginal at the best of times and everything needs to be set up correctly.