View Single Post
Old 19-05-04, 08:25
Richard Notton

Default Re: There is a...

Quote:
Originally posted by Snowtractor
...Rolls powered ME109 in the Winnipeg Aviation museum, I think it was from the Spanish airforce . It should solve the Spit/ME controversy.
Ah, That'd be a Hispano HA1112 Buchon, post war build of Bf109G airframe with a RR Merlin 500/45 engine, early ones had a Hispano engine too.

Quote:

And as to Frankfurt, in '88 I was there and the two 6 foot 12 guards in full combat kit carring MP5'S with what looked like a Berretta 9mm sidearm and with their sense of humour genetically removed and what appeared to be either terminal heartburn or constipation, certainly threw any cold water on our joviality.
Sean
Certainly they're not all like that, the people I know personally have a huge sense of humor and jocularity. Errrrrrr, maybe that's why I know them personally, hmmmmm.

You'll find both (London) Heathrow and Gatwick largely similar now with a very visible police presence, flak jackets and the H&K at the ready, they're not jocular either.

Knowing the sardine like packing of these airports I have always wondered why they carry machine pistols, except as a frightener. If it came to using one here people would be going down like mowing the grass.

In a recent, and excellent, behind the scenes series on the workings of Heathrow, we saw an American book in for a return flight to Chicago with his violin case - "What's in the case sir?" said the desk girlie.
"Oh, my Tommy gun" he said with some humour.
"Take a seat for a moment, sir" said the desk girlie.

In seconds the H&K armed Plod arrived in pairs and wouldn't see the funny side at all, off he went in cuffs to the local nick for a full check-out and a night in the cells, finally arriving home 24hrs late.

Easiest route through an airport now is; yes sir, no sir; three bags full sir.

R.