View Single Post
Old 12-07-13, 09:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Eades View Post
Harry, there is a bit of a trick to it. Having set the engine on its timing marks (noting which cylinder is firing -No.1 or number 6)you can then remove the dizzy.
You have to picture where the tooth will end up, and turn the gear back enough so that when the distributor is in, the points are just about to open for the correct cylinder. Wiggling the rotor back and forward as the dizzy goes in can help to align the oil pump drive that you have hopefully pre aligned.
I have done a Chev, but it is much the same for the G.M based inline six engines. (Bedford, Holden etc)
If you are a tooth out, the cylinder fires but the rotor arm is effectively not lined up with the terminal inside the cap.
Yeah worked out where the arm should point, and could get it in like that but not also when meshing with the oil pump. I could get it to mesh with the oil pump one tooth before and one tooth after the correct position. No matter where I put the oil pump slot (believe me, I tried them all - an hour of dizzy in and out while moving the oil pump a fraction at a time).