View Single Post
Old 11-07-13, 05:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lang View Post
Harry,

You have a seriously good 216 oil pressure with 5-10psi at hot idle. With 14 psi as the book running pressure and "indicating" as the book idle pressure your jigger looks in top condition. Most people would not stress if the needle dropped to zero on hot idle.

Lang
had is the word Yeah i did some research and found that, makes it all the more frustrating now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Eades View Post
Harry, As Grant has stated, about the dizzy.
When you drop in the dizzy, the gear on the bottom meshes with the cam shaft, but the dog teeth on the bottom don't always line up with the pump slot. You have to turn the pump with a screw driver to line up with the dog, which doesn't happen easily, because the gear on the dizzy turns going in. It might take a few goes to get it in.
You shouldn't need a drill to turn the pump as it will only take a couple of turns of a suitable screwdriver to feel the resistance of the oil pressure(you had pressure before?)when you turn the pump in the correct direction.
Your oil pressure to the valve gear is only low pressure, and low volume. It is fed from a cam bearing and regulated by machined cuts in the camshaft, so this is not the reason for the sudden loss of all your oil pressure.
Good luck!
I remember it being a pain to get in, took me several attempts. Yes I had oil pressure before, but as I now don't I'm guessing it will take more than a few... So with the rocker oil line disconnected it should still be reaching good pressure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
I doubt very much that opening the tube to the top would lose the prime. Not unless it was over a very long time.

The distributor should come straight up. You may be on to something there. Perhaps there is some problem in the belly of the beast.

The reason why I suggested the drill over simply turning the screwdriver is so that you can see the oil run up to the top end. If the system is dumping the oil somewhere else it is better to figure that out with the drill than with the engine running.
That's not what I wanted to hear! Even if something more serious is up (what else down there could be stopping the dizzy coming up?), surely it's too much of a coincidence to drive in with great oil pressure, remove and replace the rocker gear (with nothing else touched) then have no oil pressure?

Either way, so my first move is to get the pump going with a drill. Then if no pressure comes up, what then? Can I pull that little pressed plate off above where the filter lines go - will anything in there tell me anything?