View Single Post
Old 31-05-06, 18:27

hi all

here are my thoughts on this truck. the 236cid engine was a canadian engine used in the d8a scout 1/2 ton made in canada for export during the war. according to the design record, this same engine was used in the d3/4-apt of 1944-45. the combat rims on the pictured truck look to me like the ones used on the d 3/4- apt less the lifting rings.

the 251cid engine, as far as i'm aware, first appeared in the m37cdn 3/4 ton truck which went into production in 1951-52.

the 230cid engine was the american engine, which was used in military and civi trucks until 1961. at this point, the civi power wagon went to the 251 engine. the exception was the second production run of m37's, which likely for logistics purposes, retained the 230cid engine. they were known as the m37b1.

another thing to keep in mind about dodge is that they would produce "special runs" of trucks for customers. an example was the 1949 expedition to excivate king solomons mines. chrysler u.s.a. supplied, free of charge, 18 specially built power wagons, and a coronet sedan, also a special. broken down, this ammounted to 1 command car, 2 pick ups, 2 ambulances, 8 stake beds, 3 tippers with blade, and 2 refer bodied trucks. all were equipped with braden winches and air compressors.

in my opinion, the truck in question was probably part of a special order. chrysler canada, after interpreting the specifications, may have determined that "mixing" civilian and military parts, would fit the order, won the contract, and produced the vehicles. today, auto manufacturing is geared to mass production, but as seen with the solomon mines project, small runs weren't out of the question back then.

mike

Last edited by mike mckinley; 31-05-06 at 18:47.