View Single Post
Old 01-02-22, 03:39

Default SUPPLY Unit ZA/CAN 4772

Well this part of the project is going to be full of challenges.

I need to get the Blower Motor assembly for the Supply Unit out of the way to gain access to the hardware set causing the case for the Vibratory Supply to jamb in its tray. I studied the blower for the better part of half an hour looking for an easy way to remove it. There are none. The blower assembly and its related Covers were definitely installed on the front panel of the Supply Unit before the panel was installed on the Supply Unit chassis. Then its power feed wire was soldered in place. In situ, there is not enough room to easily get even the smallest tool onto any of the Covers hardware to remove it. You can loosen it all but end up resorting to fingers to ease the hex nuts out. A small shop magnet on a telescopic stick helps, as does a small pair of needle nose pliers. But even with all that, I still dropped one hex nut and one lock washer into the innards of the Supply Unit. Fortunately, they both dropped to the bench when the supply was carefully turned upside down and I knew what two sets of hardware the bits came from. Still interesting for what is intended to be a temporary disassembly.

Once off, the Covers was actually in better shape than the one on the Sender. The screen was popped inward (as was the one on the Sender), but no screen wires were broken and the screen pressed back flat with a little gentle thumb work. The rust accumulation on the inside of the Covers and the Blower Fan Blade is about the same as on the Sender Blower. I think dust settles inside the Covers, and static clings to the fan blades. Over time, this dirt accumulation attracts moisture and then rust settles in on the surfaces. Also, the inside surface of the Covers is primed only. There is no Gloss Navy Grey topcoat inside there at all.

The large pieces of front panel paint missing inside where the Covers sat had actually peeled off and curled up into tubes inside the Covers and the red oxide primer on them confirmed the paint was from the 1966 rebuild.

That was enough excitement for this evening. I shall study and plan for the next step tomorrow.

David
Attached Thumbnails
WS No. 52 Supply Unit 69.JPG   WS No. 52 Supply Unit 70.JPG   WS No. 52 Supply Unit 71.JPG