Thread: Wanted: WS19 No3 control unit
View Single Post
Old 23-04-20, 19:40
Junior Password Gnome

Second thoughts: it's a 'bitzer' and the ID plate is not original. Looking at the (mismatched) knobs (a mixture of UK and US types), the American key jack and acceptance stamp in the watch holder, it's probably an early Philco Mk.II set with an A.G.I. nameplate added.

Is there enough clearance to put the control unit on top of the set? That's the usual Daimler install - with the lampholder facing forwards so the operator can see it. If so, you need a mounting plate on top of the set that fits to four of the three hole sets on the case and is drilled for nuts & bolts to mount the control unit.

I'd also query the variometer position: on the Daimler scout car it was on the right hand side with aerial feeder No.4 through the hull, but in the armoured car it may be on the left (looking from the front) with the aerial bases on external brackets on the turret. (There was a D.A.C. in the IWM (London) a few years ago, but the only things I remember about it were that it had been moved into position under a balcony and the aerial rod had destroyed the base as a result, plus the 'B' set aerial base was a horrible mock-up made of conduit fittings and tinplate (about half the size of the genuine item).

Chris (possibly in rivet-counter mode at the time).