View Single Post
Old 03-02-04, 20:11

Default CdnM37 vs US

A few more comments:
Cdn. transmission by ACME out of Toronto (no kidding!).
Most Cdn trucks had the ARCTIC hardcab from the factory while most US trucks came with the canvas softtop and a series of tie-down hooks mounted around the back top edge of the cab.
Ditributor shaft for the 251 is longer than the 230 distributor shaft. I found out by buying the wrong one from down south.
Different winch PTO because of the different transmission.
Cdn trucks came with a small lipstick sized light monted under the rear right side bumper where it couldn't be seen from far away, designed to shine on the white painted rear differential hub to aid in night convoy driving. One extra wire in the rear wiring harness as a result.
Most US trucks had a 2"x4" D shaped handle bolted to the front edge of the engine hood to aid in lifting same. Less pinched fingers that way I guess.
Many Cdn trucks have bolt holes/clip on the passenger dashboard where a holder for a Sterling SMG was mounted. Don't think that this was authorized, just done by many units in the field.
Some CdnM37 trucks had the front tire moved to the front bumper, in front of the rad. Have seen several photos of troops being deployed in Montreal during the "FLQ Crisis" with this change. Allows one more man in the rear of the truck.
Many of the "van type" M152 and M43 Cdn trucks had large wire stowage frames mounted on their roofs to provide for carrying tentage and as a work platform for radio antennae etc. See the photo in JD's other thread on the same MLU section (ie. "the hovertruck")

Thats all that comes to mind at the moment. Robert in Toronto