View Single Post
Old 29-10-14, 09:19

Thanks John

That seems to be a slightly different arrangement with two positions on one bracket.

AFAIK the MoD only started buying Land Rover in 1949, which is why they changed from light green in 1948-early 1949, to deep bronze green of the MoD of the era. (the Great Train Robbery Land Rover was a 1950 model)

The switch in your image was indeed fitted to the underside of the rear cross member of the Land Rover. My understanding is that the switch was used to change over power from the vehicle tail lamp (off) to the trailer tail lamp (on).

The position under the chassis outrigger proved vulnerable and the switch was moved to the dash/bulkhead sometime in 1950 or later.

I believe that the second bayonet fitting is for storing the single dust cap when the trailer is connected and this would be confirmed by your double fitting having only one fitting wired.

What I don't know is if, the two terminals are "tail lamp and ground return" or "tail lamp and stop lamp with ground return the housing itself" or is there convoy lighting in there somewhere?

Any clues from the wiring you have or remnant wiring on the trucks?