View Single Post
Old 24-07-22, 02:55
Junior Password Gnome

Hi Dan,

Having done a little "research"... (Why is it that nobody ever posts interior photographs of the radio fit or anything approaching a "crew layout" diagram for anything I'm interested in?) ...things are somewhat clearer.

(All positions are as viewed from the rear of the vehicle looking forward.)

Driver sits on the left (because it's a U.S. built vehicle and LHD) down in the hull, Bow Gunner sits to his right. They (probably) share a single Junction Distribution No.3 box and use the later headsets (Microphone & Headgear No.10).

Upstairs (in the turret) Commander is on the left and has a Control Unit No.1 (or 1A) behind him. Gunner (37mm) is on the right and shares that control unit (This may require a headset extension lead, depending on the size of the turret and the length of the dropleads.) Loader/Wireless Operator is between them and has a Control Unit No.2 to the left of the supply unit (relative to the set) this is the type with the red light and single droplead) - it's also possible that the control unit is mounted on the turret roof to save space.

Cabling: 12-way from set to Control Unit No.2 (side connector), 12-way from Control Unit No.2 (top connector) to Control Unit No.1. Dog-bone between set and supply unit. (Which set and supply unit do you have?) 6-way from supply unit to turret junction box (4 power leads (+12V, 0V) plus Speech and Signal), or possibly 4-way if Speech and Signal are sourced from Control Unit No.1). Four-way lead from Control Unit No.1 to Turret Junction Box (Speech, Signal, Mic+, Mic-). Six way lead from Hull Junction Box (RBJ?) to Junction Distribution No.3 (Speech, Signal, +12V, Ground, Mic+, Mic-).

(This is based on my memory of the M4 Sherman and T26E1 Pershing install, I'll keep looking for other (smaller vehicle) installation documents.)

Is the Staghound in question a Commonwealth or a U.S. one, as the radio fit is wildly different - if it's originally WW2 then it may have mounting holes for the original radio fit and cable clips, control units, etc. which would be a big help in getting things right. (Do Bovington have the installation drawings?)

It's late/early, so more later, I think.

Chriszzzzzzzzzzz...