View Single Post
Old 15-07-22, 08:18
Dan Dolan

I will take some photos tomorrow and explain what my setup is. Hopefully I have done it right!!!!!
In the T17E1 Staghound there are two crew in the hull: driver and bow gunner. Their comm box is a No.1 between them with the Commander Call Button and two drop cords.
The commutator in the Staghound is an 8-ring set (later variety) – six comm rings and two power rings below for the 12v and 24 power cables. 24 volts runs the turret drive motor that the gunner sits on, and the 12 volts goes to the radio.
There are three crew in the turret basket (and, yes, Virginia, it is very crowded with late 20th century guys in there).
So, there is a Comm box with ten terminals below the radio tray. That Comm box is shown on the RAM TANK diagram on the No. 19 set website. I will make my connections in that box according to the diagram.
In that comm box…. the cable from the driver / bow gunner position comes up in a conduit from the commutator…. Mic+ Mic- Speech Signal and 12+ and 12- I have those leads marked from looking in the No.1 box and tracing which leads had continuity.
On right side of the turret is the Gunner, he sits alone and has a box that has TWO 12-pin sockets and a cable that has the mic+ mic-, speech, signal, and 12+ and 12- ending in wires with terminal lugs. I intend to connect those in the Comm Box under the radio. I ran a 12-pin to 12-pin cable between the lower left corner of the No. 19 set (moving the socket around as you suggested to realign the pin to let the plug and cable enter the No. 19 set socket from the left side (crossing in front of the power supply). The small dog-bone connects the power supply to the radio at the top.
This is where I differ and hope my set up is right. On the left side of the turret sits the commander and the loader. I put a box there that has the A-B switch and two drop cords and a Single 12-pin socket and a single cable terminating in 6 wires into an Appleton (mic+ mic-, speech, signal, and 12+ and 12-). I will connect the Appleton protruding wires into the Comm Box in the mic+ mic- speech, signal 12+ and 12- terminals. I will run a 12-pin to 12-pin cable from the second 12-pin socket on right-side gunner’s radio box to the single 12-pin socket on the commanders’ left side box.
Essentially the two radio control boxes (one left and one right side of the turret (basket) are connected together with the 12-pin Plugs to the No. 19 set. The power cables (think ones without the 12-pin plugs) go into the Comm box below the radio and connect to the commutator power and the single Commander Call box in driver (driver/bow gunner) compartment.
Do I need to remove the fuse in the upper portion of the No.1 boxes in either side of the turret?
I will do a block diagram tomorrow and attach photos…. Been a ham radio op for 50+ years but this setup has puzzled me until I studied the book and looked at all the boxes and connectors, I had…...K4RN/5
Comments appreciated even if you think I dun it wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!