View Single Post
Old 27-05-21, 22:15
GM Fox I

Default 6th, 7th and 8th Division markings on vehicles in Canada?

Canada had three home defense divisions and Atlantic and Pacific Commands. Its army establishment was also broken down into military districts.

For troops in Canada, there were distinct formation patches for the divisions and commands which were sewn on the arms of uniforms much as they were overseas.

Overseas vehicles of course had army, corps, division and battalion symbols painted on their fenders. It follows painting division and command flashes should likewise have been painted on home defense vehicles. I even have this sketch showing the 6th, 7th and 8th division colours (oddly without a maple leaf on the 6th and 8th) that sure look like vehicle flashes. The cloth insignia for the Atlantic Command was a French grey diamond and for the Pacific Command a dark green diamond.

However I can't recall ever seeing photos of vehicles in Canada with these markings applied. Many years ago I did see the painted remains of a 6th Division red/blue diagonal with a yellow leaf on the fender of an 11 cab Ford.

So my question is, does anybody have any photos of Canadian vehicles wearing the home defense formation flashes?
Attached Thumbnails
Sized.jpg