Thread: Bad coils?
View Single Post
Old 30-05-22, 06:14

Default Chris & Rob response..

Hi Chris & Rob....its been a while....Rob....you have given me several tutorials on the 67' M38A1 from 2017 to 2019 and that is very much appreciated....I have kept it running mostly through your many detailed responses from axle greases to field timing checks.
Chris...I do remember the many helpfull hints that you have provided during those years as well...thanks.

That said, I do mechanicals...I am not well prepped for electrical diagnoctics...so, if you can both give me your best quess as to what component may have gone bad...I can replace it....Rob....in 2017 you told me start collecting parts big-time as they will get expensive, rare or both...so I did....I have plenty of parts including several military & chinese coils, points/condensors, plugs (8 sets of original plugs), caps etc. So, to review the issue... two weeks ago, I started the jeep for the first time in 7 months....as I "stabill" the engine on storage, it started fast and ran well to the first car show. Two weeks later I started it for the second show----it started quickly, but sounded a little off...about 2 minutes later it started to misfire, hesitate etc until it died. It restarted but died within seconds and it just got worse from there. OK....so at the first car show and the first time in 7 months I fueled up at canadian tire with the no ethanol gas. It took me home but two weeks later the issue occured. Now, I also pulled the plugs after the start but no run issue and they were carbon fouled (not oil fouled)...this is unusual as after 2-3000 miles the electrodes are usually grey to very light tan suggesting good combustion. I have since replaced the plugs with 4 new gapped 2245's and thats it. I was just about to throw in a new coil & points/condensor....but I deceided to contact you guys first.....so, that said, starts & runs one week well and starts but does not run two weeks later....again, the glove box manual trouble shoot guide suggets no fuel or coil issues. So....whats wrong?

It feels great to be back and in good hands.

PS...Shilo is not too bad....I spent 4 years with PPCLI mostly in Shilo an dit was a great experience.

Cheers, les