View Single Post
Old 31-08-19, 01:21

Default Quebec Tourism Minister

Is my HMV welcome in Quebec?

I'm hoping to get an answer fairly soon before all the leaves freeze and blow off the trees.

Here's a little snippet of an email for the tourism minister. I'll follow up with phone calls after Monday and let them talk among themselves over the labour day long weekend.

Caroline Proulx,
http://www.assnat.qc.ca/en/deputes/p...ml?appelant=MC

For the Public Record.

I am a member of the Military Vehicle Preservation Association (MVPA), the Alberta Aviation Museum and President of the Canadian Civil Defence Museum Association writing to you in a personal capacity at this time.

It is important I bring your attention to SAAQ restrictions recently imposed on various types of vehicles. The restrictions limit certain types of vehicles on roads posted under 70-kph.
https://www.journaldequebec.com/2019...KZkgLNcyZW9A-U

"""""""The Société de l 'assurance automobile du Québec has decided to limit the use of these vehicles on public roads where the speed limit is equal to or less than 70 km / h. They will be able to cross at a right angle a road where the limit is higher, but they will now be banned from highways, as well as on provincial roads where the limit is 90 km / h.""""""""""

The selection of vehicles included in these restrictions isn't clear. I began to inquire about traveling to Quebec to visit family in one of my Historic Military or Civilian Vehicles.

My friend and neighbour, Nick Bulgar was killed in Afghanistan in protection of Brig.-Gen. Jonathan Vance ten years ago. Since that time I have freely traveled in Historical Military tribute vehicles and participated in Historical Military Vehicle events. My personal collection includes Civilian type vehicles that were purchased by the Canadian Military and painted green.

The organizations listed above preserve, restore and display Canadian and Continental history. The MVPA has worked tirelessly since the mid 1970's to ensure safety and public education were primary roles among its membership.

Today I contacted SAAQ for clarification and Mileana was very helpful. They did not have a list of vehicles that were prohibited or restricted but sent me along to the folks that would 1-819-722-3048. This is the department that needs to enforce the traffic rules. This was the first time they had heard of the Quebec provincial restriction and suggested I talk to Service Quebec at 1-888-355-0511. Carol was unaware of any restrictions to travelers and visitors in Quebec and suggested I talk to the Quebec Minister of Transport, 418-643-6903.

Since this "restriction" was received in writing to registered vehicle owners and became effective on August 22nd of 2019, I was certain other departments would have known about it. After speaking with Sophia with transport Quebec it isn't clear if I'm welcome in Quebec as a visitor.

I have a grand selection of vehicles to choose from including:

1956 GMC 6x6 that served in Wainwright for 3 decades on Emergency Measures Organization standby in the event of a National Emergency.

1953 GMC 6x6 from Penhold Base that served as a cargo truck, transporting goods and Canadian Military Members in training.

1954 GMC 6x6 Shop Van. This vehicle was available to the Canadian Reserves in Yellowknife for decades and could have been a work shop or even a command center for communications.

1966 GMC Coach Bus. This Bus was purchased new by Calgary Transit and was later adapted as a fire department bus to house victims of fire. It currently performs at Airshows from Edmonton to Red Deer Alberta, on highways, doing the speed limit.

1951 Chevy Suburban. The Suburban was purchased by the Canadian Military as a civilian vehicle and painted green. This was a cold war car driven around Alberta since 1951. It was purchased through auction from Surplus Canada over 40 years ago and has remained in the family since that time. It's role was light cargo and service member transport.

Other vehicles at my disposal for travel include units that were auctioned by Canada GC surplus to the general population for the good of the greater public. The LSVW, the Iltis built by Bombardier and many other styles of very reliable Vehicles appear to be a part of a restriction list. The MVPA has a great number of videos available online of the various vehicles we have operated across this continent and around the world.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oZvPqNZxKg

Can you please tell if I am welcome in Quebec in my Historical Military Vehicle?