View Single Post
Old 23-07-19, 18:52

The FMVA merged with the OMVA for a number of reasons. For me it was mainly due to insurance and liability. Last years event was technically the SFRC Military Vehicle show on paper as I had the insurance for my company extended to cover the event. As my company does numerous off site activities I can't extend it to all of them as I am limited to the number I do per year.

The FMVA membership, who I have been a member since the second year if my memory serves me correctly, has always done an great job organizing the events, shows etc but we grew to the size that we either needed to merge with another group or become an official real organization. What started as an informal gathering of friends tossing money into a hat to pay for a BBQ and a location to gather once a year grew into something much bigger. I am thrilled that everyone's hard word paid off and we created an awesome event that people from the east coast to Alberta attend. The side effect was that we created something so big that we had too, has mentioned above, merge or create our own independent group.

I wouldn't say that politics is the death of every hobby. The death of a hobby is the success of your hobby. When your hobby grows past a certain point, which our group did, there are certain liabilities, legal issues etc that come with it.

My company started off as a hobby, now I am one of the largest independent sporting goods stores in the country. I know all about the extra issues that arise when your hobby grows.

As to the comment about the FMVA reaching out for help from someone and being told to fend for themselves, I am not aware of this and I have been a member since the second year. I do know I have asked the OMVA exec for advise over the years and they have always been helpful. Everyone I have asked from any group has always been helpful. We're all here to make the hobby grow, make new friends, have fun and drive our old green vehicles around.

Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris vickery View Post
Personally I thought it refreshing that a new group was created and doing their own thing, and very successfully at that (FMVC)
Seemed to me that much of the strife that had or was happening elsewhere was gone for once. I know that the Frontenac group had reached out for help and were essentially left to fend for themselves...
Such a shame to end up with the old “if you can’t beat them, join them mentality”, as it seems the current management has simply waited it out until the viability of the new group waned.
Politics, the death of every hobby.

'95 Enfield Military Bullet
'92 Dnepr w/side car
'85 Iltis & Trailer
'85 Iltis
‘85 Itils w/Tow Package
‘85 MLVW MRT
‘85 HMMWV M1043
'71 M35A2
‘66 FV432 Mk 2/1
‘66 Ferret Mk 2/3
'55 M43
'55 M37CDN
'55 M37CDN
‘53 M38A1CDN
'52 M135CDN
‘52 M38CDN
‘40 Something Universal Carrier
M113A3

Plus a dozen LSVW’s.

Last edited by Ryan Harriman; 23-07-19 at 18:59.