Thread: 11 Set stuff
View Single Post
Old 24-01-15, 00:35
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Pommie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina Vampire View Post
Less than ten in the world Mike??? do you mean Pommy sets or Ozzie sets??

I have seem with my own eyes more than ten Ozzie sets . Last year at Corowa there was someone selling three. He had one on display that went in a second and two more in stock in Melbourne.,

And I have one of my own for the Blitz .

Euan the reason I am wondering about your choice of an 11 is that 19s are far far easier to get ...I even have a few bits I could help you with. But if you are trying for a 1941/42 set up I guess you need an 11.
I am not sure if they used 11s in the carriers during the Buna campaign. The evidence from the wrecks was the Stuarts had 19s .

Mike some of my 19s have PVC wire. I am not sure when AWA adopted it but PVC wire had been around since 1928 or so . I will have a look inside my No 11 and see what it uses.
Hi Gina

The UK made 11 sets are super rare . EK Cole made them . The theory is most of them were left behind as the BEF retreated .

re the insulation . Ive never seen PVC insulation on pre war equipment . I know that PVC was invented pre war . The post war rebuilt 19 sets did use PVC wire . As far as I am aware AWA used cotton insulation on everything . Some of the Uk built WW2 sets had a low quality rubber insulation, it falls of the wire leaving the conductor exposed , horrible stuff . The Uk 22 sets had that horrible stuff .

AWA was busily making radios for the RAAF in large numbers. The AT5/AR8 was ubiquitous , the US forces used them too .

The 19 set must have been in short supply here in Aust. because AWA made some in 1943 ( with cotton wiring ) . If overseas procurement was available, then why did AWA make the 19 set ?

BTW the AWA 19 set was a case of improvisation, just about nothing from it will fit a US British Canadian 19 set - even the valves were AWV brand , made here .

The AIF forces overseas did have 19 sets issued early on, late 1941 maybe . The book TANKS in the EAST , a story of the 7th div calvalry regiment, shows a 19 set in use with that unit in Egypt
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad

Last edited by Mike Kelly; 24-01-15 at 00:48.