Thread: 11 Set stuff
View Single Post
Old 31-12-14, 22:35
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by cletrac View Post
This looks a lot like the tripod in that RCHA picture. Who would have used one like this?
I think that's a standard tripod, as used for some of the survey instruments. Its official name will be "Stand, Instrument, No.(nn)", and it's most likely fitted with a 1/2" Whitworth screw for attaching the instrument (theodolite, level, telescope, map table, etc.). I'm looking for a No.16, which has an approximately 2" thread for attaching the "Instrument, Flash Spotting, Mk.III" - the enormous hole is so that you can drop a plumbline from the axis pin on the instrument in order to place it precisely over your surveyed-in point for the outpost.

Quote:
The markings on the scope are:
7x50
Gun Sighting Telescope
PATT 6-376
Canada Kodak Limited
Serial No CAN 6002
I Googled it and the serial numbers go up in the 8000 range so they must have been quite common.
That is/was an actual gunsight, though I'm not sure what it's off - possibly anti-aircraft, or might be Naval. Unfortunately it's been subjected to the depredations of the Mad Brass Polisher at some point in its life, then had a pillar & claw mount fitted for tripod use.

Chris