Thread: General Crerar
View Single Post
Old 09-04-20, 19:44
carrier mech

The truck and map trailer were returned to Canada, and was going to be used for post war events. However, apparently the army felt differently, and the truck languished for several years. The box was sold off, and purchased by a tobacco farmer who was going to use it to house seasonal workers.

The van body was found by Bill Gregg in the 70s, and was part of the collection that went to Shilo in the mid 80s. It was married to a softop Diamond T (Bill Gregg's wrecker) and restoration of the box was sent downtown as a major project. This was in the mid to late 90s.By that time, any markings were lost, and the vehicle painted in the usual post war gloss green. Around 2014, a hardtop Diamond T was purchased and brought up from California, which will eventually have the body transferred onto it. The new truck is still a slightly earlier model, but should present better than the soft top example.

I was just starting to install new tires onto the truck last month before this Covid stuff sent us all home. It was to be part of the temporary exhibit at the museum for VE day. Short of an absolute miracle, that will now be delayed.

The map trailer still exists at the Cdn War Museum. There was discussion about a year back about repatriating the two together.

I know there is a decent wartime photo of the overall truck parked in a group at the museum. There are also some close up shots of the back of the truck, but most of it is blocked by the other Generals or visitors. I have also seen a photo or two of the map trailer from the side. I look forward to see what other responses you get on this query.
Attached Thumbnails
xxtruck00000001.jpg  

Last edited by rob love; 10-04-20 at 07:08.