View Single Post
Old 24-01-13, 22:50
Rick Cove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Cecil View Post
As Rick said, Chev tyres and car-type wheels. The bearings were really strange: glad mine never had to be replaced. I just took them apart (they were not a closed cage type, but all loose balls with an inner and outer), cleaned them, greased them, and left it at that. Never gave me any trouble, and I used the trailer for thousands of miles of field work for years. I towed it behind a Hi Lux, hence the second set of tyres on Hi Lux rims, which gave me more spares if needed.
Those ball bearings are known in the trade and vintage circles as Chev Bearings. They are still available and seem to work well. My 1940 Chev Staff Car has them and whilst I have replaced them I have never had any trouble.

Just remembered that my Australian No.3 IHC (No.7) built trailer has them as well, infact I put the used bearings out of the Chev when I replaced them into the trailer as they were in better condition than the originals. (and kept the best one as a spare.)

I have run HiLux split rims on the Chev ever since I found out via the late Neil Wain that my Chev, being a desert model should have had 7.50x16 tyres instead of the smaller 6.00x16 it had on it when I picked it up. The HiLux rims have the correct off-set where as LandCruised rime are set too far in and fouled the steering. I have now picked up a full set of original wide Chev rims to tke the 7.50x16 tyres all I need now is time to get them painted and fitted.

Regards Rick
1940 F30S Cab11
1940 Chev WA LRDG "Te Hai"
1941 F60L Cab12
1943 Ford Lynx
1942 Bren Gun Carrier VR no.2250
Humber FV1601A
Saracen Mk1(?)
25pdr. 1940 Weir No.266
25pdr. Australian Short No.185 (?)
KVE Member.