View Single Post
Old 05-11-17, 16:52

Hi Andy,

I fitted NOS bronze bushes and pins when replaced the front springs in the summer. One of the "Y-shaped" shackles had very worn bushes.
I have a reamer and rigged up a threaded special tool to fit the bushes, welcome to borrow both.

The truck runs well at a comfortable 25mph, but if I try to go faster and then hit any blemish in the road it can still sometimes wobble.

Interestingly when we took it to Dieppe in August, it ran without any shimmy any any speed I could manage (slightly, but not a lot more than 25mph) on the perfectly maintained French roads. It might be an issue with the cart-tracks called roads in UK that sets it off, but I'd have thought these vehicles should be able to cope with rough roads.

I have also jacked up and run the front axle. There is definitely a noticeable variation in the diameter tyre as the wheel rotates. Not sure balancing would help that would it? 25mph seems to be the solution for me at moment, but will interested to hear how you get on with your lighter "sports" model.
1944 BSA Folding Bicycle (Best "Para Bike" at War&Peace Show 2011, 2012, 2014 and 2015);
Trailer, 10cwt, Water Lightweight, 100 gall;
Trailer, 10cwt, Cargo Lightweight 10cwt No1 MkII;
Trailer, 10cwt, Electrical Repair Mk.2; Ex-Airborne REME;
Trailer, 10cwt, Lightweight, Electric Welding Mk 2;
SOLD:1943 Chevrolet C60s Wrecker