View Single Post
Old 12-07-15, 20:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Waterman View Post
Hi

Like everyone else this is a puzzler, would be interesting to measure the caster of a CMP that dose not shimmy so what are you using to measure caster and camber?

My C60S is the best driver of my three with no hint of shimmy. Just had it out this morning running along on fresh asphalt roads at 50-60 MPH it is just as smooth as you could want. I don't have a front end gauge unit to measure what the various angles. Suggestions on what type equipment you are using and I'll check around.

My C60L and HUP will shimmy but it is well above their comfortable driving speed neither of these trucks is really happy above 45 MPH.

As other people have said the geometry of steering is complicated, may not even be the front springs at fault but flattened out rear springs changing the angle at the front end.

Cheers Phil
Hi Phil,
I've measured camber with a spirit level and steel rule.
I have no way to measure castor, so have been experimenting. The previous owner had fitted what I am guessing are 1-degree wedges, so I've tried 3 and 6 degree. A previous reply on this thread referred to 9-degree set, but my 6-degree seemed to make matters worse.

I must say, I've been concentrating on the front springs, that look flat with weight on them, no real visible curve. The rear springs look to still have a good amount of curve.
1944 BSA Folding Bicycle (Best "Para Bike" at War&Peace Show 2011, 2012, 2014 and 2015);
Trailer, 10cwt, Water Lightweight, 100 gall;
Trailer, 10cwt, Cargo Lightweight 10cwt No1 MkII;
Trailer, 10cwt, Electrical Repair Mk.2; Ex-Airborne REME;
Trailer, 10cwt, Lightweight, Electric Welding Mk 2;
SOLD:1943 Chevrolet C60s Wrecker