View Single Post
Old 10-07-15, 23:22

Default Further...

Hi all, whilst out with John in the shimmy truck, I leaned out and watched the wheels for rotation at +/- 25mph, the ones on my side were spinning true.
It is a good point about the shocks, they will be tested, however the oscillation is more lateral than vertical.
It may be worth tightening the steering box up a bit more, it is pretty much correct at the moment.
The ball joints on the drag link are round and good, pre-load is set correct.
The suspension bushes were 'lever' tested and no excessive movement was found. With wheels off the ground the steering is smooth to turn from lock to lock, no tight spots.

On a straight flat road service no problems occur, this should remove the potential of a wheel being the cause, the wheel bearings have been cleaned inspected and re-packed.

My thoughts from all the information that has been gathered are leading me to think that the weight from all the recovery gear on the back after all these years has caused the suspension to settle, this has shifted the wheel alignment, castor, either from the front springs or both the front and rear springs.

The suggestion of setting the toe in a little more than specification has merits this would cause a bit more drag on the front wheels and create a dampening effect, however may cause a little tram lining and constant correction from the driver, better than a shimmy.

Andy
Landrover 86"
TX1 London Taxi
Bonneville
Monkey bike
1943 GPW Australian