View Single Post
Old 03-05-15, 21:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Waterman View Post
Given my experience would try the following with the wheels jacked up take large block position so it just doesn't touch the tire hold something on the block and slowly turn the wheels to mark a line down the center of the tire. Then look at your line is it staying centered on the tread and did then your marker try to move in and out as you turned the wheel. Assuming the tires are running true an are not egg shaped, then would try moving your tires around front to rear side to side, does the shimmy change?
Thanks Phil,
I did wonder if changing the tyres was partly the cause. The ones on it when I bought the truck last autumn were very badly cracked - so I sourced some good secondhand 11x20s from a Bedford RL. But didn't get to drive it very fast with the old tyres, so I don't know if the shimmer was there.

I'd have hoped that the professional balancing of the front wheels/tyres would have highlit any defects, but I'll try your recommendation.
I might also take up a offer to try some other wheels with 12x20s fitted to see if that cures it.
1944 BSA Folding Bicycle (Best "Para Bike" at War&Peace Show 2011, 2012, 2014 and 2015);
Trailer, 10cwt, Water Lightweight, 100 gall;
Trailer, 10cwt, Cargo Lightweight 10cwt No1 MkII;
Trailer, 10cwt, Electrical Repair Mk.2; Ex-Airborne REME;
Trailer, 10cwt, Lightweight, Electric Welding Mk 2;
SOLD:1943 Chevrolet C60s Wrecker