View Single Post
Old 01-12-14, 21:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
on the bottom layer of brownish paint is the number 4004, it is stencilled on and done very well, quite thick, it is possible that there are numbers before the first number 4 but there is no room for anything after the last number 4. Could this be a Indian registration number?
Very likely IMO Ken, as I happen to believe your vehicle is ex-Indian Army. If that's true, then you've found the last 4 digits of the rego. The later Indian numbering system comprised the DoD broad arrow followed by two small digits, followed by 4 large digits (ie. 4004 in your case). Try rubbing back the upper area of the doors, you may find the entire Indian registration number. Also the bumper bar, on the RH end or in the centre. These are the usual locations for Indian registration numbers, however I've also seen them on the front shell occasionally.

It's my belief that quite a few ex-Indian Army CMPs found their way to Australia, probably including my own first blitz pictured below in 1973, and a number of late production FGTs identified in Australia recently. I have a couple of theories as to how this may have occurred, one of them being ex-BCOF vehicles, acquired in Japan when other forces departed. BCOF initially comprised Australian, British, Indian, and NZ forces, but by late '48 only Australia remained, and it appears they inherited quite a few foreign CMPs left behind, which can be seen amongst their own Australian built CMPs. Some of these went on to the Korean war in 1950, many of which would have returned to Australia following armistice in '53, while those remaining in Japan would have returned with the BCOF, which finished up in '52. That would tie in with your post war Northern Command service records, which BTW have also been found under two FGT8 bonnets, formerly NT Force vehicles.

I'll dig up some photos to illustrate the above possibility. I'm very much hoping you find Indian Army rego on this vehicle, as proof positive they exist in Australia.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tonyblitz 104.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	69349