Thread: "SMOKEY" SMITH
View Single Post
Old 25-07-03, 03:18
Senior Forum Member

Default Re: VC

Thanks Guys;

Like I said on another thread, I have my moments... had a 'brain-fart' this time, I thought they had taken it out again...anyways:

Victoria Cross (VC)

ELIGIBILITY Military Valour Decorations are national honours awarded to recognize acts of valour, self-sacrifice or devotion to duty in the presence of the enemy. A person is eligible to be awarded a Military Valour Decoration if that person, on or after January 1, 1993 is: a member of the Canadian Forces; or a member of an allied armed force that is serving with or in conjunction with the Canadian Forces

CRITERIA The Victoria Cross shall be awarded for the most conspicuous bravery, a daring or pre-eminent act of valour or self-sacrifice or extreme devotion to duty, in the presence of the enemy.

DESCRIPTION A bronze straight-armed cross pattee, 38 mm across, with raised edges: on the obverse, a lion guardant standing upon the Royal Crown, and below the Crown, a scroll bearing the inscription “PRO VALORE”; and on the reverse, the date of the act for which the decoration is bestowed is engraved in a raised circle.

MOUNTING The Cross is suspended by means of a plain link from a V below a straight bar ornamented with laurel leaves, on the back of which is engraved the rank, name and unit of the recipient.

BAR Each subsequent award of the Cross shall be indicated by a plain bronze bar, ornamented with laurel leaves, which shall be attached to the centre of the ribbon from which the Cross is suspended, and where two or more bars are attached those bars shall be equally spaced on the ribbon.

WEARING OF THE DECORATION The Cross shall be worn first in sequence, as prescribed in the Canadian Orders, Decorations and Medals Directive, and in the following manner: on the left breast, suspended from a crimson ribbon that is 38 mm in width; and where the undress ribbon is worn, each award of the Cross shall be indicated by a small representation of the Cross, and where two or more such representations are worn those representations shall be equally spaced on the ribbon.

POST-NOMINAL LETTERS A recipient is entitled to use the letters “VC”.

Cheers