View Single Post
Old 28-12-20, 19:48

I was doing some research into the 52-Set late last evening and ran across these photos of a 52-Set installation in a Canadian Army Signals 3-Ton Command Lorry somewhere overseas. The vehicle was equipped with a 52-Set, with a 19-Set Mk III directly across from it. The photos are from the RC Sigs.ca Website, in their ‘VEHICLES Section.

Some very interesting details in these photos.

In the first one, the Remote Receiver can be seen on the floor with its face turned towards the wall. The next two show two different mounts for the COIL, Aerial Tuning, but what is really interesting is the dark colour of the wooden case for the COILS. It is a lot darker than the Carriers No. 4 holding the 52-Set. This photo also confirms no Canada Decals were ever applied to the front panel of the COILS assembly.

Also, you can clearly see the colour differences in grey between the overall front panels of the three main set components and the Blowers Covers, Sender Access Door, Receiver Vibrator Supply Panel, and the Knobs and Handles Assemblies. All of these pieces show the original Gloss Navy Grey and it is showing up lighter than the front panels of the 52-Set. This set has likely been in use for less than a year but already the varnish is darkening, Quite likely it is the Canada Balsam varnish that was used, and which had a reputation of darkening very quickly.

The last picture was a really nice find. It is the 52-Set Tool Box sitting on the top front shelf beside the 19-Set station and it shows all its original factory markings. These match perfectly the ones I found on my Tool Box, on the bottom layer of factory paint. Mine has the additional features of the later coat of NATO Gloss Green with the later, more abbreviated and spaced out stencil markings for the Tool Box on it. The 52-Set Spares Case is also sitting against the wall in this photo, behind the Tool Box. The Operating Case for the Remote Receiver is probably on the floor somewhere, near the Remote Receiver.

David
Attached Thumbnails
CMP_3_Ton Command 52-Set 1.jpg   CMP_3_Ton_Command 52-Set 2.jpg   CMP_3_Ton_Command 52-Set 3.jpg