View Single Post
Old 06-02-04, 22:08

Hi John,

Well its a small world. In 2003, the Cdn Forces did NOT send a team to Australia, but in 2002, they did, and I meet CAPT Greg Betts, along with others from the CF team. He was a big bloke, and if I remember correctly a Militia officer from Ontario, as there was another Militia CPL from the LSSR too, who also knew a WO I used to know from the LSSR by the name of Paul Maybroda. Again truly a small world.

Greg and I had many conversations and beers at the outdoor all ranks mess at the GBTA, and we went in a few times to the Greenbank RSL (our Legion) for a few beer.

He is a good bloke, and I was disappointed that the Cdn's along with the French did not send a team last November. However there were 9 other nations who did show. I hope the CF sends a team out in 2004.

I drove the GMV (pictured on post war vehs) from Sydney to Brisbane ( a total of 4 days driving time) for this tasking. That was my second AASAM, and my task was to provide RAEME support strictly for the international shooters, so there was work to be done on a variety of weapons like the Singaporian SAR-21, the M16A2, M4, Malaysian, and NZ AUGs, the US M240B, the UK (upgraded by HK) L85A2, and L86A2, etc. The Fijians even have a M16A2 LMG which is mag fed, but fires from an open bolt!

Now about the AUSCAM uniforms, first off they come in the pattern pictured, and in desert. Name tags are also AUSCAM and worn on the right hand side, sewn on an angle to match the 'pixies' pockets. AUSCAM started to come into service in 1983, but it was about 1987 or 88 when it was general issue. Close up it looks like some Canadian Tire duck hunters special, but as it gets dirty, and from a distance its the best thing ever. Its a poly-cotton blend, but for RAAC and RAEME we have full cotton types as they are more flame retardant (for welding etc)

All rank is worn on the sleeve for ORs, and officers wear their rank on 'sliders' on the epaulettes. Rank system is the British pip system. The nomenclature for the uniform pictured is DPCU AUSCAM, meaning Disruptive Pattern Camouglage Uniform, AUSCAM (Australian Camoflage).

Here is a pic of the smock we use, and to me, it resembles the USA WW2 DDay type in pocket set up.

if you run into Greg, pass on my regards.

Cheers,

Wes

PS - Wanna see AASAM pics and more? Go to google, and do a search for the L1A1 Armourer, and follow the links.
Attached Thumbnails
im001287.jpg  

Last edited by RAEMETIFFYSGT; 06-02-04 at 22:18.