Thread: M-Gator
View Single Post
Old 24-05-23, 22:04
carrier mech

Those are some great photos, thanks Craig. It looks like the mount is simply one of the LAV3 mounts. I will, however, resist the urge to install my (dewat) Mag58 onto the front of this one.

It has the tracker tires, which are runflats. Currently mine has worn out carlisle tires which would be more akin to those on a golf cart or lawn mower. I have to ascertain if the rims on it now are appropriate for runflats in which case I will procure the trackers.

I got all my fenders ordered yesterday along with the clutch assembly. I get free shipping to the border, so I'll have to make the trip in a week or so.

I had a head scratching moment on how to remove the clutch from the engine shaft. I almost ordered the special tool, or was going to lathe one up. In the end, a 3" piece of 1/2" bolt was inserted into the bore, and a lubricated 9/16 UNF was driven into the hole with an impact gun. The clutch popped right off. That was way better than prybars and a hammer. A John Deere clutch is around $600 USD. I'll give the chinese one (at just under $300 CDN) a try and see how it works out.

I picked up some seats from Princess auto. They have a universal bolt pattern underneath with maybe 20 different threaded nuts. Alas, it is almost universal...it doen't fit the gator and the extra 16 nuts mean even if I modify to match the holes on the seat, it won't sit flush with the plate. They will get returned and I'll order something online.

From my time in KAF, the gators were a well liked little vehicle. So much so that a few were mis-appropriated. On close out we had two with the same license plate, and another with no plate but a serial number that belonged to the Americans. The serial decal had been torn off, but a little searching found the serial numbers are stamped behind the rear right wheel station on the frame.

Last edited by rob love; 26-06-23 at 17:27.