View Single Post
Old 26-01-12, 18:37
Tony VAN RHODA

Default Rtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
On an output flange located on a splined shaft, it is just as possible that the leak is through the splines and then through the washer and nut, as it is the flange. Later setups of this type included a splined rubber gasket that went under the washer. A bit of RTV under the washer (items 27 or 36) will usually do the job as well.
Hi Rob

Thanks mate for the suggestion. I looked at numbers 27 and 36 on the exploded Transfer Case Diagram and note they are the Companion Flange Nut Washer before the Companion Flange Nut and cotter pin. I take it RTV is some type of silicone sealant I could smear on the back of the washer before securing with the Companion Flange Nut and Cotter Pin. I can try that first and see if the sealant works, it may solve the problem. I used some Blue RTV Gasget maker on the Transfer Case cover before the gasget and works well. Do you suggest I try this first before tackling the difficult Oil Seal removal.?? It would certainly save me a sh#t load of frustration.

I am very grateful for all the support and suggestions from fellow MLU members and I have learned so much, which is so good seeing I had never tackled anything mechanical before taking on my Jeep restoration project.

Cheers

Tony