Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra View Post
Seal "no.4":

NOS leather seal.

Measurements:
OD: 4.569"/ 116,05 mm
ID: 3"/ 76,24 mm

Part number: BB-1175-C
Part name: Retainer - rear wheel grease (leather oil seal)

I bought these locally as new rubbers seals for EUR 25,- each.

Mac's Antique Auto Parts list them as follows:
Part# | Price | Description | Additional | Year
BB-1175-C | 21.95 | WHEEL GREASE SEAL | REAR 2 TON TRUCK 4.56" OD TRUCK WITH FULL FLOATING WHEEL AXLE EXCEPT 122" WHEELBASE | 1934-1952
I have only just come across this thread. At present rebuilding an axle for a Carrier, after researching a replacement seal for the hubs, I found that by searching with the Ford part number, BB1175C, I came up with one manufactured by Chicago Rawhide, now marketed under SKF name. It is a modern type of hub seal that turns within itself and thus doing away with the old type lip to seal path idea. Found a SKF data sheet for said seal, and it listed all the Ford and other makers part numbers that the SKF seal no. 31307 covered, inc. BB1175C. I knew the shaft size was correct, having measured the axle, 3.125", but having seen the Ford part number as well, neglected to check the OD assuming it would be OK. On receiving these seals from a dealer in the US, I now realise the OD is incorrect, the data sheet shows OD of seal is 4.631", where as the hub bore actually measures 4.560" (which is what Hanno quotes in his post here). There is also a discrepancy in the width of the seal as well, but that is not as important as the OD.

So, my question is, does anyone know if there is another SKF number for this seal, to suit the actual size required for the axle, and has anyone else had this problem?

1943 Bedford QLD lorry - 1941 BSA WM20 m/cycle - 1943 Daimler Scout Car Mk2
Member of MVT, IMPS, MVG of NSW, KVE and AMVCS
KVE President & KVE News Editor