View Single Post
Old 22-05-08, 21:17
Son of Kangaroo Trooper

Default Turretless Rams

I think the turretless Rams at Woking might be a case of Driver training vehicles (Though I know my Dad trained with fully turreted ones, as well as the many documentary photos I have support complete tanks too). During my interview with Lt. John Campbell (A Squadron, 1CACR) he says he saw and was around many turretless Rams while training in England? ANother likely possibility is the fact that the Ram Gun Towers were built, trialed and delivered to the 6th Anti-Tank Regt. in May of '44 (IIRC). So those tanks may be the explanation for what MAY have been seen at Woking??

By Totalize the idea of using turretless Rams as Personnel and Ammunition carriers was already in the works, the earliest document I have for purposeful Ram conversions is July 31, 1944. The week before Totalize. Keep in mind the 6th A/T Rams were riding right along with the M7 Priest conversions in Totalize. General O'Connor also claims to have had the idea for APC's in July of '44 for Op. Goodwood but was shot down by Dempsey?? The idea wasn't really too new, it was more of a case that Simonds had the temerity to put the idea into practice. Through serendipity the M7 Priests were available. Stacey, in "The Victory Campaign" says that Simonds was using towed tank or UC hulls in Italy for transporting troops?

In any case, Simonds should get the credit for applying the theory and deploying the improvised Carriers (and the other armour) in a manner that they were tactically successful. Had the Germans been able to use artillery and anti-tank weapons against the "kangaroos" it could have been an absolute massacre and the idea of suing the APC's in an combat role may have been scrapped.

I still don't know what to make of Paul Robert's claim in his book. I have never found any paperwork to support those extra 28 turretless Rams?? I don't think that they were purpose built/converted in Canada, but if there is evidence contrary to that I would love to see it!

Bill.