Thread: Sexton hull
View Single Post
Old 26-05-20, 14:09
MLU Administrator

Default Sexton GPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Herbert View Post
The only Sexton GPO that I have seen was an extremely early Sexton without the boxes on the rear corners and with a Ram derived instrument panel and steering levers. I am not certain that they were converted from later Sextons but have no evidence either way.
Hello David, I take it that was the Sexton GPO which once resided at Pounds Yard (now in the Cadman collection)?

Click image for larger version

Name:	7687351882_938cc33bcd_o.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	401.9 KB
ID:	114336 Click image for larger version

Name:	47942004357_1a8f438699_o.jpg
Size:	440.9 KB
ID:	114335

Other survivors show they were also converted from Sexton IIs:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2020-05-26 Microsoft Word - Surviving_Sextons doc - Surviving_Sextons pdf(1).jpg
Size:	374.7 KB
ID:	114334

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Herbert View Post
The one I have seen still had the massive welded beam structure that the gun is mounted into but with the swivel hole plated over. If I was building up the one above into a GPO I would not replace the beam as it makes the driving position very cramped and is generally a pain ! There is nothing to say that they didn't get cut out in service unofficially - I know of one officer who got into trouble for cutting a door in the side of his GPO Sexton. He also had a sofa in it.
Great to read about the veteran cutting a door in the side of his GPO Sexton and fitting a sofa. It shows that there is some leeway (artistic license) to restore such a vehicle!