View Single Post
Old 07-03-05, 02:19

Default Great Stuff

HI John

Thanks so much for posting these photos. This the part of the beach where my great unlce landed on D-Day. He was an NCO with the 18th Field Company and they were tasked with staying out on the beach clearing beach obstacles. My grandfather told me he remmebers him saying he had landed within the first wave and had lost 3/4 of his section by either mid day or the end of the day due to enemy action. Unlike the infantry these guys had to stay out in the open for a long time until the lane had been cleared.

I got the following info from John Sliz over on the Canuck forum.

"2 sections of the 18th came ashore on 'Mike Red' at 0745 to 0800 to clear a 50' gap in the obstacles. They did this in 30 minutes while in 4 feet of water. Another section came in at the junction of Mike Green and Mike Red at 0815. The balance of the coy came in between H + 5 minutes and H + 90 minutes."

I think if im correct that the junction between Mike Red and Mike Green is the beach exit that can be seen in one of the above photos. Its the one where the Churchill is now located.

If anyone has any further info on this please post it as Im finding it rather difficult to get more info.

Sincerely
Jordan Baker
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer