View Single Post
Old 30-08-20, 23:25

Default AERIALS, Horizontal, 4-Section ZA/C 00087

Thank you for your comments, James.

As predicted, today has been a major rain and thunderstorm day, so no polishing, to which my fingers are eternally grateful!

Before the rains arrived, however, I did accomplish some good errands. I picked up another 75 ml tube of polish and found it is now pushing $18.00 Cdn a tube now, but still well worth it.

I also dropped into the local RONA and bought an 11 foot length of rubber sheathed 16/3 power cord to replace the one on the new CPP-2. when I feel up to moving it again.

The other thing I did was take a look at some modern electrical components I thought would be suitable replacements for fittings needed to eventually replicate the AERIALS, Horizontal, 4-Section used with the Wireless Set No. 52.

The 14 gauge 7/22 Hard Drawn stranded copper aerial wire is still readily available in the United States, but seems to have disappeared out of the usual Amateur Radio markets here in Canada. I am not about to order any at the moment though. I realized I now have 13 parcels sitting at my local US Border Mail Depot I cannot retrieve because the border is still closed. No need to be adding to that right now.

Geoff Turcott sent me a couple of detail photos of his 52-Set aerial and it looked like some modern items would be good fits.

The two attached photos from Geoff show the Section quick connect/disconnect fittings, and the splice fitting between the end of the aerial and the Feeder Cable to the Set.

The third photo shows the modern substitutes I found, They are all MARR 14 gauge crimp connectors. The photo shows the packaging, the fitting with blue insulation attached and with the insulation peeled off. The Male/Female Bullets will work nicely for the Section Connections and the Butt Splice Connector for the Aerial to Feeder Splice. I will crimp them all as well as solder the fittings, when I get to that part of the project.

One other fitting to look into locally and that part of the project should be good to go.

David
Attached Thumbnails
AERIAL Section Connector.JPG   AERIAL, Butt Connector.JPG   MARR 14 Ga Crimp Connectors.JPG