View Single Post
Old 01-07-04, 10:42
RIP

Default KNIL Marmon-Herrington and Overvalwagens

The 49 MH ACs delivered to the KNIL were as I understand unarmed when they reached Java.

According to Kabbedijk (Stabelan nr 1/1987 p 41) those MHs were armed with 1-7,7 mm HMG Vickers .303 in the turret in abscense of a gun and 1-12,7 mm Anti-Aircraft MG Colt-Browning .50 on the turret. The AA MG should have been air-cooled.

If this is right the 12,7 mm AA MG must have been such originally designed for aircraft.

Same source states that there were only a few Overvalwagens of the Stadswacht type built on Chevrolet chassis by Droogdok Matschappij in Batavia.

A larger number of the Braat type should have been built by Braat in Soerabaja and also by Droogdok Maatschappij (Naval drydock Co - a shipbuilder) in Batavia. Most of them on Chevrolet but also a few Ford chassis.

At least one Overvalwagen was built by the Naval Dockyard in Soerabaja and armed with a 37 mm naval gun and a 12,7 mm AAMG.

Stellan

ADDED 3 July:

I donīt really beleive that the AAMGs were 12,7 mm. I have only seen approx 1946 pictures of MHs, and they had what seems to be 7,7 mm AAMGs.

Last edited by Stellan Bojerud (RIP); 03-07-04 at 07:06.