View Single Post
Old 29-09-07, 03:45

Default The infamous WA 100

What I know about WA carriers.

Thanks for your reply Jack.

That carrier is not mine. It belongs to a guy in NSW, but its a very nice example of a WA carrier.

You are right about a dumb number to start the build on but for some reason the WA carriers start at 5077. My carrier is 5071, so not a WA model

There seems no rhyme or reason for the allocation of numbers. My records and official correspondance of the day show that SAR was allocated 5000 - 5013 on contract no. CCS.32. Then Metgas was tasked to build 63 carriers from 5014 - 5076. With SEW finally receiving approval for 100 from 5077 - 5176. The whole numbering system seems to me to have been a complete shambles, with some numbers being double allocated, and correspondance quickly sent to repair this. Infact I am not at this stage even sure if all numbers between 1 and 5176 were used. Hence the continuation in research.

It would make sense to me if Col Anderson's old carrier was stamped WA 32, as that then fits very nicely into the numbering scheme that I have - making the one you restored 98.

Pedr
Attached Thumbnails
mlu 5078 at corowa 2005.jpg