View Single Post
Old 01-05-12, 04:12

Default ...back to 2009....

Thanks Hanno for the link to the old thread...... must be getting old as I could not remember them.....Priceless.

Obviously there are at least two similar but different side curtains..... mine have no provision for a top rod but have the 3 bottom "clinch" fastener that fits into the "hat" tabs inserted in the door.

And yes there is a seal installed at the underside of the roof top held in place by domed fastener...snaps !!! simply a piece of rubber hose sewn in canvas. There are NO snaps at the top of the curtain....... the factory picture shows a separate piece of canvas seal installed with snaps.... I have a set and will get pictures and dimensions.

We're getting there.

Now which model came first ......the round tubes with a top brace for more rigidity was probably an improvement over the flat steel bars with no top support.

Now let go to my pictures....

One window is completely frosted...... the plastic is flaking off and very brittle
....so brittle one cracked.... almost like a sheet of glass.

Compare to the good one which are stiff but very clear. I will no doubt follow Maurice's idea and carefully unstich and replace with a modern vinyl and hand sew back together using a leather awl and trying to use the same sewing holes.

The last one is the corner section ...... it has NO provision for a top rod... you can also see the canvass puckered by the shrinking canvas..... remember this is early war time plastic..... not meant to last 65 years.

More to follow..

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
DSC05093resiz.jpg   DSC05081resiz.jpg   DSC05090resiz.jpg   DSC05085resiz.jpg  
Canada

Last edited by Bob Carriere; 01-05-12 at 04:41.