View Single Post
Old 25-08-20, 13:21
MLU Administrator

Default Fitting her out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex van de Wetering View Post
Awesome! It looks like a really nice job.....they even fitted (dummy?) 20mm guns.
Great to see LCT 7074 finally restored and on display for everyone to see.
Indeed, I has turned out really smart. As it seemed the project slowly withered away, I am pleasantly surprised with the result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Fisher View Post
I've been doing some voluntary research for the National Museum of the Royal Navy into 7074's history and uncovered a few interesting details of her career, and the units she took to Normandy. She actually carried one Cromwell tank of 22 Armoured Brigade's HQ, two Sherman tanks of the 5th Royal Horse Artillery and seven Stuart tanks of the 5 Royal Tank Regiment's recce troop. One of these was drowned during disembarkation on Gold Beach, although the crew survived.
I've read the intention to place a Sherman and a Churchill tank on its deck.

Yesterday Matt Dixon sent a photo of the recently restored Grizzly tank of the museum. Robert George Glennie wrote "It’s the markings for Major Dennis Wells OP that was lost at Villers-Bocage, a tank that travelled over on LCT7074, in a perfect world it would be a Sherman V, but I guess you have to go with what you have sometimes."

Click image for larger version

Name:	118485045_3159780720801417_3886596137301759780_n.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	115781