View Single Post
Old 25-04-08, 14:50
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Mike and Richard;

Here in Canada we have vast areas, millions of sq kilometers. When the government and the UN start doing studies as to per capita ratios, it too seems as if we are "under populated".

What fails to be seen though, is that most of the newcomers are allowed to settle in overly populated areas such as the large centers, Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver.

Much of our large land mass is dense forests, open plain, mountains and arctic tundra in the north. Most of these areas are quite sparely populated as they are without infrastructure. Who wants to live a Canadian winter in the sub-zero north in the middle of the bush??? (other than me)

Like I mentioned earlier, we need to base our immigration policies on a "need" basis. Leave the bleeding hearts at the door. To build this country and make it prosper requires tradespeople, doctors and the like, not a bunch of welfare bums.

I realize that we are a nation of immigrants. Heck, my own family has WASP roots in the British Ilses. The difference between immigrants of old vs today;
My grandfather, like many others, came here with a suitcase and a dollar in the pocket. It was do or die, no social support, no hand outs, no special treatment. Work and prosper, make a home, have a family.
My grandfather was a Bernado Home child, an orphan and was only 10 1/2 years old when he came. He worked on a farm, then as a lumberjack and finally in a tannery before passing at the ripe age of 57. He had a home, raised a family and never asked for anything. All that I can think of is PRIDE.

Today's immigrant; refugee for the most part, huge family waiting to be sponsored only to follow later, unskilled, possibly criminal. Has hand out as soon as they arrive, are protected by the CANADIAN Charter of Rights, are immediately assigned immigration lawyers, know their "rights", expect to be accomodated in whatever ways they feel (religious, cultural, etc)

On another note, after the war, when immigration took off in this country, one had to acquire a certain number of points to be accepted. This was based on country of origin (preferencial treatment to our Commonwealth friends), skills, financial status, schooling etc. Oh yeah, and you required a whole regimen of vaccinations to boot as well as proper documentation when you arrived. No points, no vaccinations, no papers, NO ENTRY.
Of course trying to use this type of system in today's PC world would be totally inappropriate, afterall it would be deemed as being racist or whathaveyou....

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers