View Single Post
Old 22-11-19, 06:03
Andy

http://armedforcesmuseum.ca/centurion-interior/

I got inside through the driver's hatch. The canvas blind that separates the driver's compartment from the fighting compartment was still there. Someone had disconnected all of the 20 or so Larkspur-type cables from the 'Junction and Control Unit' box, unbolted it from its home beneath the main gun, and wedged it upright behind the driver's seat to prevent access to the rear. And it weighs about 120 lbs. After some old-fashioned heavy lifting we got it out of the road, and I spent some time photographing inside.

I was playing with different lighting/ flash etc. so some pics are doubles, but you can see the overall inside condition. Main gun has what looks like an intact breech with no barrel demil or plugs - with only the breech block itself removed. Probably a bit hard to see from the pics.

Also might be hard to make out but looking back into the engine compartment shows just how echoingly empty it is

None of the control wiring for everything has been cut - all of it has perfectly legible labels and Larkspur-era connectors in place. A lot of the instrument panel/ breaker panel legends are still legible as well. Pretty cool. Doesn't show in the pics but the underside of the loader's hatch has a couple of samples of the 'Canadian Army Khaki Green' in semi-gloss/ gloss - exactly what I need to reproduce for my M37 at some point.

Apart from the data plates on the main gun and the various components in the pics - there's nothing on the inside of the hull or turret anywhere. Commander's hatch has what looks like a 1953 ROF year stamp on it - but it could've been replaced at some point so that CFR still might be legit.