Thread: 3 Ton Derrick
View Single Post
Old 30-08-06, 20:01

Default Winch, Derrick, Engineer bodies

I may have caused confusion, I was using Engineer in the sense of who used the vehicle, not as a third body type.
The Body Parts list gives the same part numbers for the complete Winch and Derrick bodies, for first type and second type. First and second types differ according to the Body Parts List in winch location. First type had the winch below the body floor. Second type had the winch mounted on the floor of the body. Other differences between first and second types seem to be the side panels and tool boxes. There are many parts in common between the 30cwt 4x4 134"wb GS bodies and the Winch and Derrick bodies, all first type (particularly front and side panels). There are no parts listed for the floor to confirm it but they must have been different between first and second types to allow for the different winch mountings. The Body parts list that I have was revised January 1942, so would not include any later variants.
The photos attached by Hanno of second type bodies show that the Derrick and Winch bodies are remarkably similar if not the same, and that the derrick mounting points are present on the Winch body.
Based on the Body Parts List the only difference between Derrick and Winch bodies within the types seems to be the presence or absence of the derrick poles and their securing hardware for storage. Body wise I think there were larger differences between first and second types than between Winch and Derrick types.