View Single Post
Old 20-03-22, 11:08

Default LRDG 1533X2 Specification

I've been working on a specification for the Chevrolet 1533X2 MCP truck as built for the LRDG.
It was produced for an article in the second edition of the LRDG 'Tracks' magazine, which has just been published, edited by Kuno Gross, who is also a forum member. The article looks at the progressive modification made to the trucks over their operational history from March 1942 to the end of the campaign in mid 1943. It also looks at the tactical, supply and operational areas that contributed to the developments of the truck.
As a lot of the specification comes from this thread and forum, it seems appropriate to post my specification here, as a sort of thank you to everyone who has helped with the research. And to also get some feedback on its accuracy!

Chevrolet 1533X2 as it left the factory, as shown in attached photo.
  • Flat face cowl (standard Chevrolet open cab) with wooden dash surround and with folding ‘Jeep’ style windscreen, fitted with windscreen wipers
  • Extended width wings (80") with larger wheel cutouts
  • 134 1/2” wheel base chassis with strengthening plates to achieve 2 ton classification
  • Standard 216 ‘Stovebolt’ straight six engine without governor
  • Heavy duty oil bath air cleaner
  • Four speed gearbox
  • Eaton two speed rear axle and speedometer adapter for different gear ranges
  • Heavy duty Timkin front axle
  • Auxiliary rear springs
  • Double acting shock absorbers on both axles
  • Engine driven air pump
  • Heavy duty rear engine mounts
  • 10.50-16 wheels and hubs
  • 14” front and 16” rear brake drums
  • Mud flaps at rear
  • Heavy duty 3” deep radiator, and 6 bladed 18” shrouded fan
  • Military front bumper (curved or angular) and radiator crash guard on raised mounts for greater ground clearance
  • Military standard tow hitch,
  • Under slung tool boxes attached to ammunition body
  • Gotfredson 4B1 ammunition body
  • Canvas cover for ammunition body
  • POL 2 Gallon can racks on each side of the cab
  • Canvas doors.
  • Bench or 2x CMP style seats on fuel tank top plate.
  • Headlight buckets without top fitted side lights
  • Rubber bodied side lights fitted beside headlight on separate bracket.
    Rear light brackets fitted under ammo body with only side lights, no brake light or reflectors.
    Wireless suppression kit

The only production variations seem to be options of a bench seat or CMP seats, and curved or angular bumpers. I believe the bench seat was on initial builds, before being replaced by the more common CMP seats on a fuel tank top plate, but as to the background of the 2 types of bumper I have no idea which came first or was more common. The different types of bumper are hard to distinguish in most photographs.

The LRDG modified the trucks with various fitting on receiving them in Egypt, sand channel and mat mounts, condenser, compass, rear wooden stowage chest in 4B1 body, angled rear face of LHS wheel box to allow a spare wheel to be stowed between the box and tailgate, greedy boards, etc and then further modified them over the next year as a result of changing circumstances.

The point I'm not 100% sure of is whether there was a rear axle underside convoy light. I suspect there was, but can't confirm it. Also the type of steering box fitted. I have a part number 266794 with 3/8" filler plug, and replacement part when stock depleted 268325 with 1/2" filler plug (and 5266921 which just has a tag added), but not the details of the of what that looks like. (Colin Alford?)

Any feedback / information welcome.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1533x2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	269.0 KB
ID:	127913

Last edited by Charlie Down; 01-06-22 at 00:52. Reason: Update