View Single Post
Old 08-12-08, 22:44

Default Carriers in canada autumn 2003

hello all present
My wife and I drove from Calgary Alberta to Vancouver BC in Late September 2003 taking the scenic route, Canmore Banff Jasper Whistler, swinging north and going Via 100 Mile House then through the mountains to Vancouver. On the way we passed through CLINTON British Columbia, Route 97 [Cariboo highway] where we stopped to take photographs of old commercial vehicles and were surprised to see a WOOD tank parked on a truck dealers forecourt .This turned out to be a Ford based carrier chassis, S Same design of back axle as my F60.The body was a wooden hull mounted over original Armour. A large plastic pipe as the Gun Barrel. Closer inspection revealed a very complete unit underneath as far as steel work and cab controls was concerned, All the drive line had been removed and been put into storage in the back of the workshops. The hull did have its axles, track steering gear and bogies intact and i think the track them selves were not to badly worn. May i ask if any one in Alberta or BC has managed to acquire this oddity to restore it as it was clearly well looked after
thanks Stephen
PS towns mentioned may not be in correct route order but if any one wants me to try and give more accurate information i can dig out the holiday snaps or video, may even be able to scan the stills for garage name and phone number,Happy hunting