Thread: EBAY IDs
View Single Post
Old 05-04-04, 16:44

Default eBay IDs

I disagree with the last posting. There is no "rule" to back off if another reader of MLU has bid, simply a suggestion. There is also no simple mechanism to let others know that you do not plan to bid anymore if someone else outbids you - but then how many people check to see who is bidding other than the highest current bidder whose ID is shown up front? I find I will occasionally look at the list of all bidders on an item, but not always. If I am bidding, it is because I want the item (be warned!) and I am more concerned with winning it for my collection.

It is good if people choose to reveal their eBay IDs to friends and fellow enthusiasts who can then CHOOSE not to bid against each other if they so wish BUT it is still an open WORLD auction and MLU members are NOT obliged to back off if someone else who happens to visit the MLU site has placed a bid before them. There is no "rule."

If an auction comes up with a WWII vehicle transfer/decal that I need to complete my almost complete WWII Canadian Army decal collection (e.g. I "need" the WWII Commando red & black eagle/anchor/Thompson SMG round decal; the Commando red and black F-S Fighting Knife "wedge" shaped decal, 79th Armoured Div bull's head in triangle, any Canadian home defence divisions, Camp Borden and NDHQ) then I WILL bid in my best attempt to get them! If a good friend was also bidding I might have a Mafia friend phone them to persude them to back off - for health reasons you understand.

On the other hand, if I see something I like but don't really need, I may indeed back off to allow another MLU enthusiast to have a chance at it.

Remember though, that if an Avro Arrow joystick is sitting on eBay with a single bid of $1 by a MLU visitor, and the other MLU readers choose to back off "out of respect," then you can be SURE that some Yank, Brit, Italian, Norwegian etc. will snipe the joystick for $2 and it will go outside of Canada.

This is a different ethic from gunshow ethics. At a gun show the unspoken ethic is that if someone picks up an item, he/she has first right of refusal. Once they put it down, and they have not verbally committed with the seller (e.g tell them yes you will buy it and then put it down to get your wallet out), it is fair game.

Remember too on eBay that if the SELLER is a MLU reader, then they want to MAXIMISE their sale! I plan to sell some 1940s-1950s Canadian & British airborne kit this week coming up and I want to maximise my sales. Sure I'd be happy if the stuff stays in Canada, but I have financial reasons why I need to: #1 Get my money out of these things and #2 maximise the sale price. Likewise I will be selling a 1942 GPA amphibious jeep later this Spring/Summer. It is one of only two confirmed in Canada at this time. It has an interesting Canadian history since it was bought surplus at Levy's in Weston, ON in 1957 (where it served in WWII is unknown) and it was driven to the Avro factory when the owner helped build the Avro Arrows in 1958. The owner also took it all through Central America in 1967-68.